Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Resolutions

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic: Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2011 (mine are listed in no particular order).

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I'm a fifth of the way through this so hopefully at least this resolution will be accomplished!

2. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2011 is the year to finally get around to reading this classic.

3. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
I adore Steinbeck, especially The Grapes of Wrath. This is one of the few of his books that I haven't read.

4. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
This memoir about women gathering to read in the oppressive society of Iran has sat untouched on my shelf for about 2 years. It's time to break it out!

5. More nonfiction books in general
I've been out of college for a few years and feel like my brain needs to get back in shape! A few recent non-fiction books I'm interested in reading: The Bolter by Francis Osborne, Storyteller by Roald Dahl and Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff.

6. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
Yes, I think I'm one of the approximately 5 people in America who hasn't read this book yet.

7. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I've always wanted to read this saga set in French Revolution but haven't gotten around to it.

8. More Georgette Heyer
I own a few Regency novels by Georgette Heyer I have yet to read-- A Civil Contract, An Infamous Army and Faro's Daughter.

9. The Thousand Autums of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell

This historical novel made a lot of best of lists for 2010 and sounds really intriguing.

10. The books I currently own before buying new ones
I fall prey to a very common problem-I can't stop buying books, even though I have a ton at home I have yet to read. My goal this year is to read through ones I already own first!

What books are you resolving to read in 2011?

9 comments:

  1. I have Jane Eyre and Les Mis on my list for this year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list! The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is rather long but well worth it. I really need to explore Steinbeck more. Thanks for reminding me of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should consider joining the Georgette Heyer Reading Challenge! I link to it in the right sidebar of my blog. She's marvelous! Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have added East of Eden to my list and same with Jane Eyre. Let's just say they are honorable mentions. I really liked The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but there were some boring parts so you kind of have to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les Mis is amazing. It's long and can seem tedious, but so worth it. After you read it, I recommend watching the movie with Liam Neeson. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wanted to read Les Miz but I had the unfortunate chance to read The Hunchback of Notre Dame and decided Hugo wasn't for me. I hope you have a better time reading him that I did.
    I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, I've actually been thinking about re-reading it. Good luck with all your reading goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book of all time. It makes me happy to see it on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your number 6--i'm one of the five people who hasn't quite gotten around to the tattoo book either. love your number 5 resolution--nonfiction is one of my favorite genres (as you saw from my post today!). good luck with your resolutions--you really should read to kill a mockingbird, it's a classic for a good reason. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments everyone! Glad to see I am not alone in needing to read some of the classics :)

    ReplyDelete